Happy new year! At what point is it too late in January to say that I wonder? I’m slowly getting back to wearing clothes without an elasticated waiste band and getting up before 9am! It’s been lovely, my parents came to visit, we had a little road trip to Palm Springs and we got to enjoy spending time with the newest addition to our family, our new pup Paddington. It was wonderful, really wonderful but the Christmas tree is gone, the last of the quality streets are eaten and I’m slowly easing myself back into my everyday routine.
I must say getting back into the swing of things was harder than I imagined mainly because I really switched off over the holidays. One thing that really helped me enjoy the holidays was staying mindful of what I consumed on social media. I’m aware of the voices that look to profit from my insecurities and instead I choose to focus on people that make me feel good about myself. So I thought for my first post back I would share the people I’ve been following that really are a breath of fresh air on social media, and feel free to share in the comments anyone you find particularly inspiring.
1. Matt Haig @mattzhaig is a best selling author with some of the best quotes I’ve ever seen over on his Instagram account if you’re looking to put social media in particular into perspective. He touches on gender stereotypes, in particular society’s reaction to male depression and creates an open dialogue around topics that need to be discussed. He is a great reminder of what’s really important in life.
2. Jameela Jamil @jameelajamilofficial and @i_weigh – Jameela’s no nonsense approach to the fashion industry and societies beauty ideals are beyond refreshing. She calls out the companies benefiting from our insecurities and holds them accountable. She’s also great at directing you to other awesome men and women who stand up for equality and diversity. Let A bitch live might well be my favourite hashtag of all time thanks to her Insta!
3. Lucy Sheridan @lucysheridan is a super babe! She literally radiates warmth. I love her for her focus on comparison and how damaging it is. Otherwise known as the ‘Comparison Coach’, she shares her tips and even holds workshops on how to let go of comparison and be your best self on your own terms. She’s literally rooting for all of us and I love that!
4. Eff Your Beauty Standards @effyourbeautystandards is a true celebration of beauty. Founded by Tess Holiday (another great follow) the focus is body positivity in a safe space. Women and men building each other up, showcasing their sass and inspiring others to share theirs at the same time!
5. Celeste Barber @celestebarber is comedy gold! With her awesome piss takes of fashion frolics and model behaviour, you have to watch her for some serious belly laughs. I’m sure most of you already follow her but if by any chance you don’t, January is definitely the time to follow. Should you find yourself comparing to the likes of Bella Hadid or Kendal Jenner head to her Insta and all will be well again!
Photos by Kayla Varley
SHOP SIMILAR HERE